- Performing safety checks.
- The correct procedure for use of VHF radio in an emergency
- An understanding of a marine engine, carrying out pre-start motor checks and how to start and manoeuvre
- Berthing and person overboard exercises under power and under sail
- Hoisting and setting the jib/main, changing the headsail, tacking/gibing and sail trimming skills in all crew positions.
- Helming a boat under instruction
- Planning a voyage and use basic navigation skills
- Experiencing a night sail (optional)
- A range of anchoring techniques
- Good boat keeping.
- ‘Rules of the Road’ on the water
- Tow and row a dinghy safely including coming alongside and transferring passenger
Accrediting Sailing Holidays
- Six-day sailing holiday. Three days with an instructor then three days sailing by yourselves and applying the knowledge.
Note: Practical on the water assessment during the course by your instructor