This Great Escape Adult Learn to Sail Course is a Yachting New Zealand Level 2 intermediate qualification. At the end of the course, you should be competent and confident to undertake an overnight voyage in sheltered waters.
- Safety checks including weather interpretation
- Use of VHF marine radio
- An understanding of a marine engine, carrying out pre-start motor checks, starting and manoeuvring
- Berthing and mooring
- A range of anchoring techniques
- Person overboard exercises under power and under sail
- Hoisting and setting the jib and main, changing the headsail, tacking and gybing and sail trim in all crew positions
- Helming a boat through all basic sailing manoeuvres
- Reefing sails
- Planning a voyage and use basic navigation skills
- Experiencing a night sail (optional)
- Good boat keeping.
- ‘Rules of the Road’ on the water
- Tow and row a dinghy safely including coming alongside and transferring passenger
Course delivery – Accrediting Sailing Holidays
This qualification is obtained from our six-day holiday or the five-day adventure if you have previously completed the two-day introduction level one with Great Escape. It is delivered aboard either the Davidson 20 or the Noelex 25. Our instructor ratio is 1:2, usually a couple, two friends or an adult and child. (We can also cater for solo sailors, small families and groups of up to four on request).
- Six-day sailing holiday. Three days with an instructor then three days sailing by yourselves and applying the knowledge.
YNZ Level 2 Practical on the water assessment during the course by your instructor
Sailors completing the six-day holiday to obtain the Yachting New Zealand Level 2 certification may choose to also qualify for the IYT International Crew qualification (eLearning and theory exam required)
Included in your course
- Yachting New Zealand Level 2 Certification
- Yachting New Zealand Level 2 workbook and logbook
- Opua Cruising Club guest membership
- Accommodation aboard
- Accreditation to bareboat charter with Great Escape post course
We operate all year and courses start on demand. Contact us to check availability of boat and instructor for your preferred dates Click for our quick enquiry form