Terms and Conditions for Charter
We want you to have a safe and enjoyable charter with Great Escape, so the following sets out our terms and conditions in plain language. Please don’t hesitate to call or email if have any questions.
Boats will not be hired out to inexperienced sailors. Ideally the skipper will hold a recreataional or commercial sailing qualification and have a minimum of six months experience in a similiar vessel. If we have any concerns with the experience detailed in your booking we will contact you to discuss options.
If during the familiarisation procedure with the boat, or at any stage of your charter, we feel that your abilities are not as you outlined nor the required standard you will be offered an instructor at your cost (if available) or the charter will be cancelled.
- Skipper will take responsibility for the safety of the boat and crew having been shown the location of the boat’s equipment and safety gear
- Skipper will operate the boat in accordance with all local marine rules and regulations
- You will be required to complete a skipper’s declaration upon return to the dock detailing (if any) maritime incidents, loss or damage to boat and equipment.
Whenever possible we will try and get you out for the dates booked. However, we reserve the right to cancel, postpone or shorten your charter if we consider weather conditions will be dangerous for boats or sailors. If this occurs, you will be offered a reschedule or credit for the unused days, valid for 12 months. We do not cover any additional costs you may incur. If you cannot take advantage of the credit or reschedule we will refund you for the unused days less 30%. If the weather is just inclement, and you, and we, have flexibility, we may be able to reschedule your charter to ensure you get a better weather window at no cost.
If you need to change your confirmed dates for good reason we will try and accommodate you at no charge. Subject to availability, maximum of two changes permitted. Additional costs may apply if you move seasons. Changes within 30 days of the start date of your charter may not be permitted.
Cancellations 30 or more days prior to commencement of charter; your deposit is refunded less a $250 administration fee. Cancellations within 30 days of commencement of charter forfeit deposit (30%), the balance may also be retained unless the dates can be resold.
Full payment is required before the commencement of your charter. A 30% deposit is required to reserve your charter with the balance payable 30 days prior to the start date of your charter.
- No refunds will be given once the charter commences.
- If we must shorten your trip, remedy is limited to reschedule for unused days.
Bond for Charter
You will be required to post a bond for the days of your charter to cover any loss or damage caused by negligence or payment for penalties as detailed. Depending on the insurance option and vessel selected this will be from $200 to $5,000 A valid credit card is accepted for this. You can reduce your bond with the optional bond insurance.
Penalties and charges
- Your charter commences at 9.30 am on day one and concludes at 4.00 pm on the last day. An extra $50 per hour or part hour may be charged for boats overdue without good reason.
- Toilet operating instructions are on board and you will be shown how to use the system. You may be charged $250 for any blockages due to misuse.
- The boat must be returned in a clean and tidy condition. A cleaning fee of $190 may be charged if the boat is returned in an unacceptable condition.
- If the boat is damaged, the equipment lost, or broken through carelessness or negligence you will be liable up to the value of your bond.
- If the boat is sailed outside the agreed cruising area the charter may be terminated and the bond will not be refunded. (Your cruising area will depend on the yacht and the duration of your charter. Information on the cruising area is on our website and you will be reminded of this during your vessel briefing.)
- We are here at the base to support you having a safe and happy holiday afloat. If we need to come out to your boat during your holiday for an issue caused by incompetence, we may charge you costs.
If we need to cancel your reservation for events outside of our control you will be offered a reschedule or refund. We do not cover any other costs you may incur. Refunds are less a $250 administration charge, reschedules must be within 12 months.
- No smoking (or vaping) anywhere aboard.
- No pets (they are also banned from many of the DOC islands you can visit during your charter).
- No SCUBA gear, although you are welcome to bring snorkelling gear.
- No rubbish overboard. We have rubbish and recycling back at Great Escape Base.
- No sailing at night except in case of emergency. Boats must be anchored by dusk.
- Additional crew. The charter may be terminated and bond forfeit if any changes are made to the skipper or crew.
Operating under the COVID Protection Framework
All Great Escape crew are fully vaccinated. Bareboat Charter sailors will not require vaccination passports as the time at the dock is brief and you are then on your own in the vessel. During “Red” settings masks will be required on the dock and during briefings.
COVID 19 Disruptions
If your sailing adventure is disrupted due to COVID 19 restrictions you will have the option of a refund, reschedule, or credit. Refunds will be paid less a $250 administration fee. There is no cost to reschedule or retain a credit (which will be valid for 24 months).
The health and safety of our sailors are of the utmost importance, and all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure your safety. Great Escape complies with and adheres to a comprehensive safety operation plan in accordance with Maritime New Zealand (MNZ), Yachting New Zealand (YNZ) and International Yacht Training (IYT) requirements. We take all practical steps to provide you with the safest and highest quality experience possible. However, the very nature of sailing carries associated risks. To the extent permitted by law, you agree to assume all personal risks of participating in the charter and release from liability and hold blameless Great Escape (including its representatives, employees, associates, agents, and any known affiliates) from any liability whatsoever in connection with any matter relating to your charter which may give rise to damage or loss of property, personal accident, injury, death or loss of any nature.
Click the back button on your browser to return to your booking. We look forward to having you come to sail with us,