Terms and Conditions for Sailing Adventures
We want you to have a safe and enjoyable sailing adventure with Great Escape. The following sets out our terms and conditions in plain language. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns with these terms.
Operating under the COVID 19 Protection Framework
All the Great Escape crew are fully vaccinated. Sailing Adventure participants will be required to show My Vaccine Pass as although outside, the sailors spend quite a lot of time near the instructors and use shared facilities ashore.
COVID 19 Disruptions
If your sailing adventure is disrupted due to COVID 19 restrictions you will have the option of a refund, reschedule, or credit. Refunds will be paid less a $250 administration fee. There is no cost to reschedule or retain a credit (which will be valid for 36 months).
Whenever possible we will try and get you out for the dates booked. However, we reserve the right to cancel, postpone or shorten your sailing adventure if we consider weather conditions will be dangerous for boats or sailors. If this occurs, you will be offered a reschedule.
If you need to change your confirmed dates for good reason we will try and accommodate you at no charge. Subject to availability, maximum of two changes permitted. Changes within 30 days to the start date of your sailing adventure may forfeit the deposit.
Cancellations 30 or more days prior to commencement of sailing adventure; deposit refunded less $250 administration fee. Cancellations within 30 days of commencement of sailing adventure; deposit retained by Great Escape with the balance retained unless the dates can be resold.
Bond for Self-Sail Days
You will be required to post a bond for the self-sail days of your sailing adventure. Depending on the boast used and insurance option selected this will be from $500 to $5,000 A valid credit card is accepted for this. You can reduce your bond, and liability, with the optional bond insurance.
Certification and qualifications
During your sailing adventure, your instructor will be developing your skills and assessing competency, and you should attain a Yachting New Zealand qualification. Sailors may also apply to obtain the appropriate level of International Yacht Training (IYT) certification. There are additional costs for IYT certification. Attainment of qualifications is not guaranteed and will be dependent on the successful completion of practical and theory elements.
Competency for sail yourself days
If after the end of your instructor days we, or you, feel you are not ready to set sail by yourselves you will be offered a range of options including, additional instructor days (additional cost), refund of sail yourself days, restricted cruising area, or credit to be used for future adventures.
The instructor has responsibility for the safety of the students and equipment and his/her decision is final. If any participant commits an illegal or potentially dangerous act, is under the influence of alcohol/drugs, persistently disregards the instructions of the Great Escape crew, or is disruptive or exhibits difficult behaviour, Great Escape reserve the right to terminate the course. In such an event there will be no right to any refund.
The health and safety of our sailors are of the utmost importance, and all reasonable precautions are taken to ensure your safety. Great Escape complies with and adheres to a comprehensive safety operation plan in accordance with Maritime New Zealand (MNZ), Yachting New Zealand (YNZ) and International Yacht Training (IYT) requirements. We take all practical steps to provide you with the safest and highest quality experience possible. However, the very nature of sailing carries associated risks. To the extent permitted by law, you agree to assume all personal risks of participating in the charter and release from liability and hold blameless Great Escape (including its representatives, employees, associates, agents, and any known affiliates) from any liability whatsoever in connection with any matter relating to your charter which may give rise to damage or loss of property, personal accident, injury, death or loss of any nature.
Full payment is required before the commencement of your sailing adventure. 30% deposit is required to reserve your adventure with the balance payable 30 days prior to the start date of your sailing adventure.
Penalties and charges
- Your sail yourself days conclude at 4.00 pm on the last day. An extra $50 per hour or part hour may be charged for boats overdue without good reason.
- Toilet operating instructions are on board and you will be shown how to use the system. You may be charged $250 for any blockages due to misuse.
- The boat must be returned in a clean and tidy condition. A cleaning fee of $190 may be charged if the boat is in an unacceptable condition.
- If the boat is damaged, the equipment lost, or broken through carelessness or negligence you will be liable up to the value of your bond.
- If the boat is sailed outside the agreed sail yourself cruising area the self-sail days may be terminated and the bond will not be refunded. Information on the cruising area is on our website and your instructor will brief you on your cruising area as part of the preparation for your sail yourself days.
- No smoking (or vaping) anywhere aboard.
- No pets (they are also banned from many of the DOC islands you can visit during your sail yourself adventure).
- No SCUBA gear, although you are welcome to bring snorkelling gear.
- No rubbish overboard. We have rubbish and recycling back at Great Escape Base.
- No sailing at night except in case of emergency. Boats must be anchored by dusk.
- Additional crew. The charter may be terminated and bond forfeit if any changes are made to the skipper or crew.
If we need to cancel your reservation for events outside of our control you will be offered a reschedule or refund. We do not cover any other costs you may incur.
Click the back button on your browser to return to your booking. We look forward to having you come to sail with us,
Great Escape Crew