If you are a sailor on our two-day introduction to sailing course you can now choose an island stopover for your night aboard. A wonderful way to spend more time out in the beautiful Bay of Islands.
Option 1 – A night at the dock
Our standard offer. After your day on the water, your instructor helps you tie up to the dock at our base. Enjoy the facilities and hospitality of the Opua Cruising Club, cook aboard or have a meal at the restaurant and talk sailing with other yachties.
Option 2 – A night at Otehei Bay
Don’t come back to Opua instead spend the night moored at Urupukapuka Island in Otehei Bay, cook aboard or enjoy the cafe ashore. Explore the wonderful walking tracks, wake up to the chorus of birdsong.
Introduction to sailing course
The two-day course is a great way to see if sailing is for you. You (and your friend/family) have the boat and an instructor to yourselves.
- Day one – Your sailing holiday commences at 9.30 am with a dock briefing then you cast off for a day’s sailing in the bay with your instructor.
- Overnight – Your instructor goes home and you stay safely tied to the dock or on a mooring at Otehei Bay.
- Day two – Another day out sailing with your instructor, your instructor will join you again around 9.30 am and you’ll cast off for another wonderful day sailing in the beautiful Bay of Islands. Your sailing course concludes at 5 pm back at the dock in Opua.
No prior experience is assumed or required. However, as it is just you aboard if you have some sailing experience the instructor will tailor content to your expertise. This course is suitable for all ages, water confidence and reasonable fitness required. By the end of the course, you should have obtained your Level One Yachting New Zealand Keelboat Certification (Introduction to Keelboat Sailing).
Find out more
- Click for info on Otehei Bay
- Click for info on Opua Cruising Club
- Click for Sailing School Registration