Coastal Adventure Northland Coast – 6 days, 5 nights
For intermediate to advanced sailors. Practical skills training, live aboard coastal voyage enabling you to experience the joy of sailing in spectacular cruising grounds, whilst gaining skills, knowledge, experience and recreational sailing qualifications.
Qualifications: Yachting New Zealand Keelboat Level 2 or 3, International Yacht Training International Bareboat Skipper or International Crew. (Obtaining International Bareboat Skipper enables you to sit the ICC (International Certificate of Competence) post course.
Prerequisites for qualifications
- IYT International Crew – eLearning Click for IYT eLearning courses
- IYT International Bareboat Skipper – IYT Bareboat Skipper eLearning, VHF Certificate, Minimum 10 days as skipper or co-skipper
- Yachting New Zealand Level 2 Keelboat – Level 1 Keelboat qualification or equalivant experience
- Yachting New Zealand Level 3 Keelboat – Level 2 Keelboat qualification or equalivant experience
- Recommended text – “Safety in Small Craft” Mike Scanlan Text can be purchased from Boat Books, Westhaven
Learn from a Great Escape Instructor yachting guru who has over 300,000 miles under her belt, including a race circumnavigation, several Sydney-Hobert races and seven Cape Horn roundings. Click for Amanda’s instructor profile
Motukokako (Piercy) Island Cape Brett, the Southern corner of the Bay of Islands.
Tikitiki Rock (Ninepin) the Northern corner of the Bay of Islands
Fun aboard developing skills, maximum 1:4 instructor to student ratio
- NAVIGATION – Plan and execute a multi-day passage, determine DR, course, distance, VMG and ETA using charts and electronic aids to navigation.
- SAILING SKILLS – Enhance fundamental points of sail and sail trim. Develop strategies for dealing with heavy weather. Experience night sailing and steering by the compass and stars.
- CRUISING SKILLS – Understand the responsibilitys of skipper and crew. Develop confidence in vessel handling, anchoring, docking, and coping with minor and less minor emergencies.
- Download or view Coastal Adventure PDF overview here
“We recommend without hesitation the IYT International Bareboat Skipper and Yachting New Zealand Level 3 sailing course with Captain Amanda Swan at Great Escapes. From the first enquiry to the follow-up after our trip, Julie kept us fully informed on every detail. Our experience during the course with Captain Amanda Swan was beyond our expectation; both in terms of the practical sailing experience and the way in which it was delivered. Amanda’s sailing experience is undeniably world-class, however it was not just her knowledge, but the way in which she imparted her experience that made this course more than special. Amanda’s knowledge and approach made this course not only enjoyable and practical, but an outstanding experience that we will stay with us for a long time.” -TripAdvisor Reviewed by allterrainjandals 5 Mar 2022
- Cost – Berth – $1,990 per sailor for the public course, plus IYT certification costs and linen if required (Contact us for private course costs).
- Provisions – provided for public course, private courses self-catering.
- Next scheduled start dates for public courses (Private courses dates on demand). Course starts at 0930 on day one and concludes at 1500 hours on day six.
- Saturday 17th September – Thursday 22nd September 2022
- Saturday 15th October – Thursday 20th October 2022
- Monday 28th November – Saturday 3rd December 2022
- Saturday 18th March – Thursday 23rd March 2023
- Saturday 22nd April Thursday 27th April 2023
- Suitable for intermediate to experienced sailors, e.g. Graduates of the six-day inshore adventure, 10 plus days as first mate or skipper
- Maximum of four sailors plus one instructor aboard. Enabling tailored instruction for each participant, ideal for a couple with different levels of experience.
- Sailing Qualifications – Depending on previous experience and successful pre-work you may gain the IYT International Bareboat/Flottila Skipper and/or the Yachting New Zealand Level 3 Keelboat Skipper certification
- Want to know more, send us an inquiry, we’d love to have you come to sail with us Click here to send us a quick query